At the risk of looking like a fool at the end of 2006 I will venture some predictions:
- Buzz--Like Web 2.0 was the buzz topic of 2005, the buzz topic of 2006 will be video over the internet. We will see an explosion of amateur video content creation with distribution to PCs .
- Exits--We will see many US technology companies looking to exit on the London Stock Exchange's AIM exchange which has a lower hurdle than Nasdaq but is increasingly providing liquidity.
- National--After being eclipsed by silicon valley in 2005 Massachusetts will be back: companies to watch are Airvana, Netezza, Starent, Virtusa, Airwide, Confluent Surgical.
- International--Indian IT companies will acquire US and European IT companies.
- Mobile--Music downloads to cellphones (songs not ringtones) will become a billion dollar market. Wireless broadband for "last-mile" internet access by companies will expand dramatically.